The Safety Advisor role is vital to Mackay Contracting where the person is responsible for tracking safety statistics, developing and conducting training for our various safety procedures to ensure legal compliance, and being a safety advocate and strong resource to Mackay Contracting.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure all relevant HSE procedures are implemented on project sites and ensure that safety meetings occur, with completed agendas and minutes.
- Perform Safety orientations for all new employees in line with Company and Project site HSE rules and regulations.
- Research and schedule employee training as required and ensure that training occurs prior to expiration (to avoid lapses) where possible.
- Ensure emergency response preparedness provisions / plans in place and awareness amongst site employees.
- Prepare and submit necessary reports to the Mack ay Contracting Safety Manager, Site/Construction Manager and/or Project Manager.
- Ensure work procedures and practices are kept up-to-date with recent, new, and changing regulations or legislation; and keep informed on important and critical industry changes.
- Participate in audits and monitor follow up and closeout of corrective actions for the findings raised during internal and external audits.
- Identify unsafe conditions and practices and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Coach and assist field personnel to achieve a safe and healthy workplace.
- Expectation of 50/50 Field/Office time.
- Train employees working at heights, fall arrest, cranes , rigging, confined space, and ground disturbance activities
Qualifications, Experience & Skills
- Minimum of three years H&S experience in the mining and/or construction industry
- Certificate, Diploma or Degree in Occupational Health and Safety
- Construction Safety Officer (CSO) or professional designation such as a CRSP[JW1]
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS) version 2020
- Computer literate – proficient in MS Office, PowerPoint etc.
- Presentation skills
- Reporting skills
- Good time management skills
- Skilled at coaching/mentoring
- Excellent communication (written/verbal) skills
This role will be based out of our main office located in Cranbrook at 1600A Theatre Rd., Cranbrook, BC. Covering the East Kootenays. The shifts are generally Monday through Friday with flexibility for weekends based on client requirements. Regional travel will be required
At MACKAY Contracting, we believe that our people are our greatest asset. We understand the challenges of recruiting and retaining strong talent. We are committed to developing, recognizing, and retaining talented employees. We offer a fun, respectful and supportive multi-cultural working environment. Our steadily growing team is hardworking, personable, and supportive about delivering highly rated quality results, with a high level of integrity while providing a cost-effective solution for our clients.
Apply for the Safety Advisor position.
Please fill out the form below and we will get back to you in a timely manner.