The Controller is a crucial position for MacKay to maintain the accounting operations of the company and to ensure the proper controls are in place in order to provide dependable and timely financial reporting. The Controller is an essential part of the management team and is looked upon to provide guidance and insight as to the day-to-day financial operations of the company and to be an assertive advocate for a professional and accountable work environment.
Responsibilities and Duties
This role will be responsible for the daily accounting functions and ensuring the company maintains compliance with its ASPE reporting standards. Responsibilities include;
Accounts receivable management
- following up on invoices and payment
- onboarding of new customers including customer applications and credit checks
Onboarding new vendors,
- processing purchase orders,
- managing automated AP software
- Reconciling AP to purchase orders and following up on any discrepancies
Invoicing in collaboration with project management and operational staff to ensure invoicing in completed promptly and in compliance with customer contractual requirements.
Allocating to correct GL accounts and posting journal entires when required.
Processing payroll and ensuring payroll accounts are kept up to date including
- Vacation accruals
- Benefits accounting
- Issuance of ROE’s
- Issuance of T4’s
Training and oversight of AR, AP, and payroll staff
Ensuring compliance with standard and regulatory requirements including
Weekly AR, AP, and cash balance reporting and bank reconciliation
Monthly Financial reporting
Monthly reconciliation of
- Revenue accrual accounts
- Loan accounts
- Capital Asset Accounts
Yearly completion of
- Year end inhouse financials
- Payroll reconciliation
Qualifications, Experience & Skills
- Working knowledge of cloud-based accounting software and desktop software; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Strong organizational skills, integrity, credibility and commitment to, in partnership with the CFO, the responsibilities of the finance department
- Strong problem-solving skills and excellent use of logic
- Solid experience in accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll
- Leadership skills and big-picture method to approaching tasks
- Accounting designation preferred, or senior level accounting experience
This role will be located in the Cranbrook office, located at 1600A Theatre Rd., Cranbrook, BC. and will have regularly scheduled hours Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. From time to time, overtime may be required, but is not expected to make up a major component of the role.
At MACKAY Contracting, we believe that our people are our greatest asset. We understand the challenges of recruiting and retaining strong talent. We are committed to developing, recognizing, and retaining talented employees. We offer a fun, respectful and supportive multi-cultural working environment. Our steadily growing team is hardworking, personable, and supportive about delivering highly rated quality results, with a high level of integrity while providing a cost-effective solution for our clients.
Apply for the Controller position.
Please fill out the form below and we will get back to you in a timely manner.